ABOUT THE PRESENTATION:
What is discussed:
- Definition of Connected and Automated Vehicles (CAV)
- Potential benefits of CAV
- Brief history in Caltrans role in CAV
- Scope of Caltrans responsibility and activities related to CAV
- CAV strategic plan and implementation plan efforts underway
- The future of CAV in CA and challenges ahead
What you may learn:
- What a CAV is (or isn’t)
- Latest AV deployment status
- What Caltrans role is with regards to CAVs and its current and future plans to accommodate deployment
ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
Brian R. Simi, P.E.
Brian is a Registered Electrical Engineer and has over 33 years of experience working both at the District and HQ levels in the area of Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) and the Transportation Systems Management and Operations (TSMO) field at Caltrans.
For the last two years, Brian has been the Office Chief for Traffic Operations Research in the Division of Research Innovation and System Information. He oversees a staff of 16 engineers that work on over 70 active research projects covering the disciplines of traffic operations, safety, modal, design, and aeronautics. Brian also leads the Connected and Automated Vehicle (CAV) research program for Caltrans and his office has completed the development of a CAV Strategic Plan for the department that will serve as a blueprint for future CAV deployment efforts.